Monday, September 26, 2005

taking my own advice

i've got to refute a post i wrote a few days ago when i talked about missing intellectual stimulation due to my surroundings. today, after reading jodi's blog about being where we are without feeling lonely or while still feeling at home, so far away from each other and our place of origin, i commented on what she wrote. i said the following:



you know jo, i think all of us are feeling that same sense of being torn between where we are and where our hearts rest. because when we're all together, that's where we feel at home. it's hard for me to be HERE fully, too... but i think when we decide to take our days into our hands, and maybe find a little more home within ourselvess, we can feel more comfortable and encouraged.

for so long we relied on recieving love from each other to feel at home... and being apart from one another is our chance to look inside and draw some strength, courage, and love for ourselves from ourselves to play a comforting role.

maybe there's no harder thing than to turn to yourself when you're feeling lonely. that almost sounds backwards. but if you CAN turn to yourself in low or lonely times, then you've got something that will never let you down. find ways to turn to yourself. play music. paint. write. read. bring that light to life in times of lonliness. you've got so much inside.


now i've just got to say that my experiences and education here, both academically and outside of the classroom, are totally under my control. they're totally up to me to make the most of and get as much out as i put in. it's silly how often i tell myself that and how quickly i forget to act upon that belief. but it's really good to be reminded, even if it's through advising someone else.

don't hesitate to give me a piece of my own advice if i seem as though i'm forgetting. or some new and different advice. part of what i'm learning through going to this counselor is to be open to others' advice for me, not to feel so much like i have to have power or be right about everything. haha. so yeah. bombard me with advice or refutations!!

lots of love, rachael


ps. photos from the protest can be found at photos.yahoo.com/rachmddx under ANTI-WAR PROTEST
my camera died half way through the day, so i had to be quick with the picture taking...they didn't all come out great. anyway, enjoy!

11 Comments:

At 12:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"play music. paint. write. read."
That list honestly sounds like keeping yourself busy to avoid the lonliness more than anything else.

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Rachael said...

spyjnot at all, actually. they're all ways to express or invigorate the mind. by play music i meant invent... painting and writing are expressions by which we create something tangible that we can relate to and call our own. reading keeps the wheels of our minds turning and reminds us that once again, we're not so alone in our thoughts. sure, lonliness cannot always be avoided, but it can be comforted.

i mean, what would you prefer? people to wallow in their lonliness, or be proactive?

perhaps that's why you turn to religion at times?

 
At 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's precisely what I meant (no, not the wallowing). Denial of self resulting in true joy only works if the self isn't able to fill that lonely void (which, since we're calling it a lonely void, it clearly can't). I claim that He's able to fill that, because He does.

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Rachael said...

couldn't He free people through allowing them to self-express?? to do something? what action results in merely turning to God? are you talking about praying and then suddenly a void is filled? for me that wouldn't do it. but art/expression does. and we're all entitled to what works for us. i'm glad you have God. and i'm glad i have expression. maybe they're one in the same. maybe we're missing that.. maybe we're not seeing the bigger picture.

 
At 3:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got no problem with playing guitar, writing or drawing. I'm pretty sure you know I do all these things. But I don't do them to fill a void, I do them to glorify God out of thankfullness that He's filled the void (and that thankfullness, and acting on it, is what glorifies Him). He's given us amazing abilities (that much I know you won't deny), and if you're using the abilities to fill the void and to gratify yourself, you're missing the point. I maintain that only the One that made the void can fill it.

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger Rachael said...

what i know is that my decisions are in my hands, and my life and the way i live is up to me. i either let myself fall or keep myself up. maybe God gave me life, maybe he didn't. maybe i'm here some other way. but even if God did give me life, he hasn't decided what I do with it. that's up to me... so you're saying we should be forever greatful to the one who gave us life, but the way i see it, i'd rather "make god proud" by living a meaningful life, however it works for me. so that's where we see things differently. i don't deny feeling greatful to be alive... but if all i do is feel greatful and praise, without embodying the traits of a good person.. actually ACTING to make a positive difference, or acting to express a lonliness if i'm feeling lonely. well then i could be sitting thinking whatever i want and call it praise. I think God gives us life and leaves it in our hands to make something special of it. gives us the choice to be strong or weak.. but we can find those things within ourselves or within Him. personally, i don't think he'd be pissed off if we found it in ourselves. i think he's be a little relieved... one less person to have to help up.

and that's enough of that. it always becomes a spiritual debate with tim. ha

 
At 7:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm reading Victor Hugo's Les Miserables right now, and what I really like about this author is the way he takes into account the various options a character has, the character's intentions, the character's actual actions, and then the effects of that character's actions. To say that one has his or her decisions in his or her own hands is of course partly true; you weigh your options, and with a said intention, act/decide. However, the repercussions of one's actions are bigger than oneself, not limited to oneself, in terms of either cause or effect. So if you can say with confidence that you are truly in control of your life, this includes not only your decisions that you make because of the circumstances in which you find yourself, but also the effects of those actions. It would probably also mean deciding on the circumstances you are in, though you probably didn't mean that: (for instance, what college you attend). All I'm trying to say with that, is that your life really isn't in your hands. If you want to believe it's in the hands of others, fine, but at the least that control of our life is out of our hands. I agree with Tim of course, in believing it's in God's. However of course, no one can force you to. Let me then add to Tim's comments. Another point is that leaving control of life in God's hands and not in my own takes a humongous load off, because I find that despite all my efforts, skills, whatever, I'm still not satisfied if I try to run my life. And obviously a second question leaps to mind, why would anyone want someone else to run their lives...to which I would answer that God has such an awesome purpose for my life, loves me completely and wants only what is best for me. So I guess that leads to the last part of your and tim's comments. Not only do I live my life out of gratitude, as in, playing guitar or basketball or doing school work well out of thanks, but the point is so much better. Jesus says to love God with all your heart, soul, mind, and spirit...carpe diem right?...so doing whatever you do to the fullest, for the glory of God. So life is to the fullest: vibrant, powerful, and beautiful.

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger Rachael said...

good points. i don't disagree with your opinions or way of life at all... i just always find myself playing the defensive role vs. tim. lol.. but yeah, by saying that my life is in my hands, i'm not saying that i have control over everything that happens to me. i'm saying i have the ability to REACT to what happens to me however i wish. which is what this whole debate started over anyway. and if my reactions to the natural occurences in life happen to be expressive, well then that's how i do things. that's really all i was saying... that, if due to life's natural occurences i begin to feel lonely or uninspired, i can do something proactive to invigorate myself once again. so can you. and we both do. you pray or turn to God... and i pray to, just in different ways, and turning to myself. so we're different. i don't think one way is right or wrong... but i understand that if you're looking at me from your angle you might see a girl who's lost or aimless. luckily for me, that's not how i see it.

 
At 5:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have I ever told you I miss you?

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger Rachael said...

i don't believe so. i'm not sure if that's just a question or an announcement of some sort.

 
At 9:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Both, of course.

Actually, I've been pondering this a lot...how does the internet change the growing up experience?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home