Friday, September 23, 2005

it was nice having such a diverse intellectual level in high school. you can be whoever you are, and still interact with people who are on a completely different level. i suppose the same thing holds true of college in the sense that there are different types of intelligences. but i liked having the people with highest IQs standing right next to the average who stood right next to the lower. You learn a lot about appreciating diversity. Sometimes it feels like people's minds here are all working at about the same rate. Not too fast, not too slow. (which makes sense, because we get into certain colleges based on similar parameters) But i want to be around it all, I want to see the super speedy and the nearly dead. I guess I really just miss the super speedy. I love being stimulated by people who know more than I do, or I love being around other people who share that same joy in intellectual stimulation. it could just be the classes that i'm taking. hopefully next semester my classes will consist of more geeky people. but looking around towson i don't see too many geeks. people here are pretty "cool".


ah well, maybe i'll just start a nerd revolution! anybody care to join?? we can drink wine, and read philosophy, and talk about quantum physics, and culture ourselves through dance and food, and have chest tournaments, and pick our noses togetherrrr... ahhhh. i mean reallly, i'm not craving nerdsss, just some stimulation. just someone questioning me about something/anything! just someone else's beliefs for me to question. just some good conversation/arguments. just some live fucking music and open mic nights.

ah, yes.. i need to go get these things. they're not so far away, probably just hidden. and the search begins... today!

another search that i began today was for college... again. the list right now is UPitt (i kind of think i should have gone there in the first place), UMich, Mich State, BU, Northeastern (again, maybe those bastards will give me some money), UMD, emerson? (mainly because i know it would give yuri a heart attack... muahaha) and that's it. I think i'd enjoy all of those schools a lot.

i've got a consoling session today. hmm. it's really.. strange talking to a counselor about my life. about my past, parents, present, problems. it's kind of like doing a hellish workout program... it's really hard and not fun, but really good for you and pays off in the end. (plus, it's free!) the lady said she thought it'd be good for me to participate in "group counseling sessions" where there's 6-7 people who all have "relationship problems" and two mediator/consolers. eh, it's weird, but i know it's good for me. so yeah, that's that. i dunno if it's something i'm "supposed" to talk about. but hell, that's never stopped me before. ha.



so this post wasn't very awe-inspiring, but i felt like writing. i hope you all are having a great time where you are. that's one thing that i have to keep reminding myself-- how important it is to be thankful for every day and enjoy what i have.

i've been listening to a lot of ani difranco lately. she really is superwoman. check her out if you haven't heard her music. or just go read some lyrics. they're the best. http://www.danah.org/Ani/


peace, love, happiness.

2 Comments:

At 7:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"so this post wasn't very awe-inspiring"
That's a good thing. I will never be convinced that everything Rachael Maddox does is part of her existensial-coffee-house-goddess persona, and so it's good to see other sides of you. (Nonetheless this post will garner the usual "I LOVE YOU AMAZING RACHAEL" posts from Jodi&Co, which isn't a bad thing in case my tone came off that way)

I think I was talking with Yahiro about this the other day actually. He's at Hopkins, so it's mostly GT-types (and mostly Asian at that), and I decided I wouldn't be able to stand that. On the other hand, I'm at UMBC, and not even bothering with Honors College, which means that I get all sorts, but mainly people that are probably not as smart as me, and I'm not sure I like it (and concerning Yahiro's racial less-diverse situation: UMBC is ridiculously diverse, which is neither here nor there).
I was going to write that I agree with "i liked having the people with highest IQs standing right next to the average who stood right next to the lower", but that's not true. What I miss is being in one place and having to teach Geometry to people, then going to another place and blathering about the European Union and World War 2 and who knows what else with a bunch of geniuses. There is nowhere to do either at college that I've found.

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Rachael said...

good point, tim. i think all in all, it's just different. it's good to know i'm not the only one who thinks that.

oh, and of course i am not only a coffeehouse goddess. haha.. i am one crazy head of curls!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home