Saturday, January 29, 2005

Because we are all so very connected.

I sat down on the floor of the lobby next to Stephen Diez today during lunch as he was reading through and highlighting his Bible. He was kind of taken aback that I had just come and sat down next to him... but he was humble.. And I asked him very honestly as I looked towards his Bible, "Does this make you feel connected?" He looked at me kind of confused but more in a willing way and said, "What do you mean?" And I said, "You know.. connected to something. It's human instinct to want to identify and connect with something." And he said, "Well yeah, I feel that I am really connected to God." And I said, "You know that's really great... because most people really aren't sure what they're connected to... but you've found that... and you're not afraid to sit here and be different. And it's like, we all connect to different things, you know? God is not necessarily my connection, but really all of our connections are the same big picture. The human desire to be connected to something... people, places, a God, ourselves... everything." Stephen sat there for a moment taking in what I had said to him. "Well thanks," he said. "You're welcome," I said. "Thanks for living the way that you do."

I learned something important from Stephen today. I was raised Jewish but I'm not that religious... and seeing someone who is completely dedicated to his faith is a distant sight for me. But nonetheless, it is a sight that I found very important to see... Probably more important for me to see because it is so far out of my realm of normalcy. I realized while talking to Stephen that we really are all the same. That our desire to connect is so prevalent no matter who we are or in what way we connect with things. Whatever it is that may bring you solace should be kept near by... even if it is something that people aren't used to. Because maybe we need to stop trying to adapt to the world and society... and live our lives the way that's best for us.

All in all, my day was very... intense. From place to place I just kept finding myself saying outloud and internally, "I don't know why I'm here. I need to be someplace else. But where? And how?" And as I was debriefing with Jodi about the chaos of the day, she sent me part of a conversation that she was having with someone who said basically..."I want to hop in a van and travel from place to place.. get out and ask the people, 'Is there anything I can help you with? Because I'll be in town for a few days and I'm trying to really make a difference on a personal scale.'"..... and my mind was just thinking, where IS all of this? where are all of the people who drop out of school, or college, or whatever institution we've been thrown into.. and say, damnit I'm going to get out of this routine that's making a personal difference, and go help some people! And I thought to myself, I want to be living in the 70's!... But the matter is that i'm NOT living in the 70's. I'm living in today. This is where I am... and I Have to DO something with it. Because what in god's name would happen if I didn't? I mean, most likely I'd go crazy.. But worse, I'd be denying the compassion and the drive that is in me to do good things for this world.

I want to make it a point to connect with people. People who I don't know and people who are far from my preferred or usual acquaintances. Because I really believe that the more we know about each other, the easier it is for us to understand and accept what is going on day to day. And the more we accept things, the less fear, anger and/or confusion we have residing within ourselves. I mean, isn't that what we want as people? To be unafraid, at peace, happy? I think many people are happy with the lives that they live...their comfortable styles, and stable opinions... and I can really understand that. I can understand why a person wouldn't want to be vulnerable to a world of uncertainties and diversities. It's definitely a mouthful to stomach... It's definitely uncomfortable on many levels. So it's a choice that we all have. And which ever decision is made... things will work out, things will be okay... But there is a difference between things being "okay" and "comfortable"... or really challenging your mind in terms of acceptance and understanding. I choose to challenge myself. Because I believe that there is no greater force than the human necessity to be connected. It is here, it always will be for as long as we as people keep reproducing. So why not have our means of connection, be of greater communication and synchronization?


2 Comments:

At 6:20 PM, Blogger Jodi said...

this blog: one of the many reasons i love you, rachael. i dont even wanna recap or reply, you've said it all so profoundly through word and action.

 
At 4:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Profound! You're the first blogger I've come across who writes stuff that I actually enjoy reading. Thank you for sharing opinions!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home