Tuesday, March 15, 2005

"thoughts are free"

here it is folks.. the rant about online thoughts! how shall i organize myself? or will i? here it goes....

first of all, concering the sincerity of blogging (i'll refer to all online-journaling as blogging since it's my method... how american of me, speak my language! anyway) i've been reading through more online journals than usual and it seems that many come up with the question of how sincere their words become, how valid they are, once it's apparent that they're free for anyone to read. and i think the truth of the matter is, weather it's making your blog available for all to read or making yourself available for all to hear, once anyone is put in front of an audiance of any size, their actions/words/thoughts change. and it's inevitable. even if it's slight.

(small tangent before i get to my point..) think about when you're in a grocery store picking out apples and another person walks up to the same stand to pick out apples also... automatically your mind goes on alert: "Caution: Living person at 3 o'clock"... it just happens! and your body shifts and you hurry to pick out your apples and you get on your way. why the unease? because you know that once another person is in your presence, they can do everything that you can do... see, hear, smell..etc. the funny thing is that the majority of the time, they're simply feeling the same unease as you are, while neither person is really the least bit concerned about acting on their senses to judge, rather they're worried about being judged. (you can always disagree with this theory... i go back in forth with most of my theories anyway)

so ANYWAY, what i want to say is... the BEAUTY of blogging is that it's done in solitude. there's no one walking up beside you to make your body shift and have you hurry on your way... (minus family-interruptions... and at that point my body does shift and i do hurry on my way) this could all just be my perspective on the matter... but regardless, i just think that if nothing else, blogging gives a person a true voice. because often times, people have a lot to say and have a really hard time saying it outloud/in front of people. Or they don't have the opportunity to "get out" everything they want to get out... so even if no one reads what they write, the concept that their words are out there for the world to read if the world cares to read them opens the doors to their mind and let's others in. unity seems to be desirable, hence the popularity of these blogs... regardless of how "secretive" some may be.

On the flip side, in some ways i see blogs as a hindrence to true human interaction. because at some point, you won't be reading the screen of a computer, you'll be looking into the eyes of a person... and it will be expected that some kind of normalcy exists. but how can "normal" human interaction stay intact if they are not practiced? OR will they be valued more when they happen, making all face-to-face interactions greater? OR could they allow for people to more easily SPEAK what's on their mind because they have that freedom to do so on the web? i think it could go many ways, and in fact does go many ways. ultimately, here i am writing in my dear blog.

i like the damn thing... for all of the positives listed above. i dislike it just the same for all the negatives. and as mike would mock me for, i appreciate it for provoking thought.

my hands are always cold while typing. i have poor blood circulation.

GREECE MEETING TONIGHT!!!! i will be broke soon. YAY!

2 Comments:

At 8:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You shift in the grocery store because you care what the other person thinks. You can say "I don't care, that person doesn't know me", but we all have this deep social consciousness that makes us care. Is this overcomable? More so online, at least for me. I type better than I talk, plain and simple. (Though this may mean I have more time to think about what I should say, it also gives me time to catch myself not being honest) But if you don't care, then you'll be honest? Is it possible? I don't have an answer. Certainly not possible by my own volition, I'd guess.

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Mike said...

and then you have my "blog"

but to respond without cynicism, the permanence of the blog allows one to capture(and later reflect upon) their feelings. or perhaps people feel empowered by the "publish" button. or in my case, laugh and then laugh later at the funny drawings.

choose any three and rejoice in the non-friends-only world of blogger.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home